Preliminary Steps for Transmission Rebuilding
Disassembling the Transmission
- Drain the Fluid: Safely and cleanly drain the transmission fluid into an appropriate container.
- Remove External Components: Carefully take off the transmission pan, filter, and valve body.
- Detach the Transmission: Unbolt the transmission from the engine and safely support it using a transmission jack.
- Disassemble the Internal Components: Begin with the removal of the torque converter, followed by the disassembly of gears, clutches, and shafts.
- Organize and Label: As you remove each part, organize and label them. This ensures that no component gets misplaced and simplifies the reassembly process.
Cleaning and Inspecting Parts
Rebuilding Challenges: Valve Bodies and Clutch Assemblies
- Inspect All Components: Examine the clutch plates, discs, and pressure plates for wear or damage. Look for signs of burning or warping which indicate overheating and overuse.
- Measure Thickness and Flatness: Use a micrometer to measure the thickness of the clutch plates and a straight edge to check for flatness. Compare these measurements against the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Replace Springs if Necessary: Clutch springs can lose tension over time. If the springs are not within the specification or show signs of wear, replace them to ensure consistent pressure and performance.
- Check the Hub Spline: Inspect the hub spline for wear. A worn spline can lead to clutch slippage or failure to engage.
- Clean and Lubricate: Ensure all parts are clean before assembly. Apply a thin layer of lubricant on the hub spline to facilitate smooth engagement.
The Reassembly Process
- Start with the Core: Begin by installing the main internal components, ensuring each gear, bearing, and shaft is properly lubricated and aligned.
- Rebuild the Clutch Assembly: Carefully assemble the clutch components, paying close attention to the order and orientation of each part.
- Install the Valve Body: Reattach the valve body, ensuring all valves and springs are correctly placed and that the component is securely fastened.
- Attach External Components: Reinstall the transmission pan, filter, and any external sensors or linkages.
- Refill with Fluid: Once the transmission is reassembled, refill it with the recommended type and amount of transmission fluid.